February 3, 2012

February Presidency Message



Because of my job as a sign language interpreter, I am often impressed by the words or signs that are chosen to represent an idea.  This past week I listened to President Packer's seminary address and watched the ASL interpretation at the same time. I was struck by the sign chosen for  "atonement."  I love the simple dissection of that word "atonement."  At-one-ment.  For so long I have relied on that definition for my (basic) understanding of that word and that concept.

As I listened to President Packer and watched the interpreter I noticed the sign that was chosen for atonement.  The sign chosen literally means "to replace, instead of."  I stopped the recording and watched it again.  I have been thinking a lot about the use of that sign.

As interpreters our goal in the translation is to convey meaning.  What is the meaning of the atonement?  What is our understanding of that sacred, personal and hugely important gift that we each have been offered by our Father in Heaven and his son Jesus Christ?

The process of the atonement was done so that Christ would suffer INSTEAD of us, that he, his body, his mind and heart truly would REPLACE ours so that we would not have to be hurt or afflicted. (Alma 7: 11-12)  Accepting this gift literally requires us to step aside and let Him stand in for us.

Language is such a marvelous and beautiful tool.  The more we know, the better we can express ourselves; the better we can understand and be understood.  The gospel of Jesus Christ is the same - the more we know of Him the better we can express ourselves through love, service, kindness and patience.  The more we learn of him the better we can understand ourselves and each other.

Christ's language is one of love.  May we learn more of his language day by day that we can interchange our lives with His so that our weaknesses and mere mortal countenances may be replaced with His strength and His radiance.

Renee Kelly
1st Counselor 
Exeter Stake Young Women Presidency

No comments:

Post a Comment